At Northwest Corner of Lexington Avenue
Information & AppointmentsEmail Us Call 212.755.5544
- 1930Year Built
This is one of the most distinguished apartment houses on Lexington Avenue.
With its gargoyles and battlements and fine roof-top water-tank enclosure, it is also one of the nicest apartment houses in the city.
The 14-story, brown-brick building was erected in 1930 and is a cooperative with only 26 apartments. It was designed by Rosario Candela.
It has a two-story limestone base with two-story limestone window reveals on the third and fourth floors, very nice masonry detailing, a doorman, a canopied entrance with nice wrought-iron doors and attractive wall lanterns flanking the entrance. It permits protruding air-conditioners and has no sidewalk landscaping, no garage, no health club, no roof deck and no balconies. All but one of its windows are multi-paned.
The south side of this street between Park and Lexington Avenues has several extremely impressive mansions, one of which houses the Junior League of the City of New York that was designed by Mott B. Schmidt originally for Vincent Astor. The building is catty-corner on the avenue to the very handsome Unitarian Church of All Souls.
There is good cross-town bus service on 79th Street and a subway station is at Lexington Avenue and 77th Street.
There is a very fine grocery store in the building's avenue retail frontage.
Features & Amenities
- FT Doorman
- Distinguished pre-war building
- Impressive gargoyles
- Many multi-paned windows
- Impressive sidestreet mansions
- Good public transportation
- Very few apartments
- Catty-corner to handsome church on the avenue
- Excellent food store in building
- No health club
- No balconies
- No roof deck
- No sidewalk landscaping
- No garage