108 East 96th Street, between Park Avenue & Lexington Avenue
Information & Appointments
Pricing Info For Park 96
- Studios from $1,400*
- One bedrooms from $1,850*
- Two bedrooms from $2,700*
- Three bedrooms from $3,995*
- 1994Year Built
For More Information
Park 96, 108 East 96th Street please contact:
Overview of Park 96, 108 East 96th Street
This relatively modest, 19-story, midblock building was the subject of one of the city’s fiercest controversies over zoning and widely became known as the "too-tall" building.
The developer had received approval from the city’s Buildings Department to erect a 31-story apartment tower, which was nearing completion when community groups protested that it was too tall for the site’s zoning and would be deleterious to the neighborhood.
The dispute centered on how close the tower was to an historic district and the placement of the tower on the site. What was critical in the controversy was a zoning map that had erroneous information.
The project’s critics maintained that the tower was not permitted within 100 feet of Park Avenue and that the developer and the city had used an outdated zoning map. The critics were successful in forcing the city to require the developer to remove the top 12 floors!
The developer had unsuccessfully offered to provide the community with important amenities instead of such a drastic solution as the demolition of the top 12 floors of the tower. Some of his offers included making a substantial numbr of units available for low-income residents in the neighborhood as this major cross-street is the traditional dividing line historically between the Upper East Side and East Harlem.
The civic groups, however, were adamant in their opposition to any compromise and rallied behind the principle that the city’s zoning should not be compromised, despite the...
Features & Amenities
- FT Doorman
- Health Club
- Roof Deck
- Close to Lexington Avenue subway
- Not far from Central Park
- Carnegie Hill neighborhood
- Close to schools
- Close to museums
- No roofdeck
- No garage
- No sidewalk landscaping
Park 96, 108 East 96th Street Featured In:
More New York City Apartment Buildings
- East Side (Manhattan) Apartment Buildings from 59th to 125th Streets
- West Side (Manhattan) Apartment Buildings from 59th to 125th Streets
- Midtown (Manhattan) Apartment Buildings from 34th to 59th Streets
- Downtown (Manhattan) Apartment Buildings including Chelsea, Greenwich Village, West Village, East Village, Lower East Side, SoHo, NoHo, NoLita and Tribeca
- Financial District/Battery Park City Apartment Buildings
- Upper Manhattan Apartment Buildings from 125th to 207th Streets
- All Buildings All Manhattan Apartment Buildings