Overview of The Chocolate Factory at 275 Park Avenue
The Chocolate Factory at 275 Park Avenue is an 1880 Romanesque Revival industrial complex converted to 123 rental lofts in 2002. Designed by the Parfitt Brothers for wholesale grocer Von Glahn Brothers, it later became a factory for Rockwood & Company Chocolate, once among the country’s largest candy makers.
The five story red brick complex retains arched windows of varying widths, a chamfered corner, a pediment and patterned masonry along the upper façade. Many lofts preserve ceilings of up to 12 feet, oversized windows, exposed brick, and original wood beams and columns. Broad floor plates create open plans, with flexible partitioning offered in some homes.
The building has a part time doorman, fitness center, landscaped courtyard, resident storage, laundry facilities, package room and indoor and outdoor parking. A furnished roof deck faces the Manhattan and Brooklyn skylines, while an on-site bakery and coworking space occupy the ground floor. Pets are permitted.
The Brooklyn Navy Yard is just north of the building, and Pratt Institute is nearby in Clinton Hill. The Clinton-Washington Avenues station serves the G train, while the York Street station serves the F train. The Brooklyn Navy Yard ferry terminal at Pier 72 is about three blocks away, and a Citi Bike station is beside the entrance.
HK Organization is a Brooklyn-based developer specializing in converting historic industrial buildings to modern apartment rentals. Its projects, such as the Chocolate Factory Lofts at 275 Park Avenue in Clinton Hill, blend original industrial character with contemporary amenities.