Skip to Content
Get Access to Off-Market Listings.
The following is a list of links to City Realty pages. For screen reader users, all links are visible at all time, so you may ignore the control buttons
The following is a list of links to City Realty pages. For screen reader users, all links are visible at all time, so you may ignore the control buttons
For screen reader users, all slides are visible at all time so you may ignore the control buttons
A blog from CityRealty (Links below will take you to the 6sqft site)

The Cammeyer in Chelsea: Review and Ratings | CityRealty

Carter Horsley
Review by Carter Horsley
Carter Horsley Carter B. Horsley, a former journalist for The New York Times, The International Herald Tribune and The New York Post. Mr. Horsley is also the editorial director of

This impressive building, which is known as the Cammeyer and is located at 650 Avenue of the Americas on the southeast corner at 20th Street, was converted to a residential condominium in 2007.

The building was designed by Hubert, Piersson & Hoddick in 1892 for the estate of William C. Rhinelander and the conversion was designed by Perkins Eastman for by Penterium, the residential development arm of Korean firm Kumang Housing Corp.

This 67-unit residential building is also across the avenue from the O'Neil Building, which was converted about the same time to residential condominiums by Elad Properties, which converted part of the Plaza Hotel and which also had bought this property in August, 2005 for about $47 million and then sold it for more than $70 million about a year later to its current owners, K-W 650 Associates LLC, of which Klaus Kretschmann is president, according to records on file with the Department of Buildings.

Bottom Line

One of the great buildings along Ladie’s Mile that has been converted to large apartments.


The red-brick, Neo-Renaissance-style building has white stone and terra cotta trim, a large copper cornice and a handsome bandcourse beneath its top floor.

It also has a few delicate curved balconies.

The building has a 16-foot high lobby that initially after the conversion had art shows organized by the Jack Shainman Gallery and the building’s marketing theme was "White Space," which is echoed in the minimalist white apartments. The lobby was initially highlighted by an aluminum sculpture of slanted elements and subsequently was highlight by a dramatic and beautiful, large Corian tree structure that serves as a concierge station designed by Eran Chen, the architect.


The building has a roof deck, a gym, wine storage, private storage and a concierge service.


Apartments have ceiling heights ranging from 10 to 12 feet and sliding glass walls are between living rooms and bedrooms.

Kitchens have high-gloss Poggenpohl cabinetry, Corian countertops, Sub-Zero refrigerators, Thermador ovens, and Miele dishwashers. Bathrooms have Waterworks Chord bathtubs and wall-mounted polished chrome fixtures.

Apartment 2M is a two-bedroom unit with a 38-foot living room with an open kitchen.

Apartment F on floors 3 through 6 at the northwest corner of the building is a three-bedroom unit with a large entrance foyer that leads to a very long gallery that passes a 14-foot-wide open kitchen with an island next to a 29-foot-long great room.

Penthouse B is a two-bedroom unit with a 36-foot-long great room with an open kitchen alcove and a 29-foot-long terrace.

Penthouse C is a three-bedroom unit with a 56-foot-long terrace entered from the bedrooms and a 33-foot-long terrace entered from the 39-foot-long great room with an open kitchen. 


The building was eventually dubbed the Cammeyer after a major shoe company founded by Alfred Cammeyer, who died in 1909. The shoe store moved to 381 Fifth Avenue in 1914.

Mr. Shvo initially arranged for purchasers to decorate their units with artwork “curated” by Jack Shainman, an art dealer in Chelsea who created an art gallery in the building’s sales office.


The location is in the heart of the architecturally impressive Ladies’ Mile Historic District and is close to the Chelsea and Flatiron neighborhoods.

There is excellent shopping and public transportation in this area as well as many restaurants and boutiques.

The 7-story building is across 20th Street from the former Episcopal Church of the Holy Communion that was designed in Gothic Revival style circa 1850 by Richard Upjohn and was converted into the Limelight disco. The disco eventually closed and a series of retailers took over part of the space and in October 2011 it was announced that part of it would be used by IHOP (The International House of Pancakes).

Book a Tour or Get More Information on this Building
Interested in selling?
Between Amsterdam Avenue & Broadway
Broadway Corridor
Forward-thinking and elegant homes on the Upper West Side. 2-4 bedroom residences | Occupancy Q3 2020.
Learn More
Dahlia Building - Exterior Views Dahlia Building - Living Room Dahlia Building - Dining Room Dahlia Building - Bedroom Dahlia Building - Exterior Front View